Cold Beet Soup
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 large beets, peeled
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1/4 cup minced white onion
- 1 tablespoon white sugar plus additional to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Red wine vinegar to taste
1. Grate or mince the raw beets (I pulverize them in a food processor). Add them to a medium pot along with the chicken broth, tomato, onion, 1 tablespoon of sugar and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil; simmer, partially covered, until the beets are totally tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool.
2. Puree the soup in a blender and season with 1 teaspoon of vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. If needed add another teaspoon of sugar and/or more vinegar to taste. Serve chilled (this soup will keep for up to 3 days and improves as it sits). Serve in chilled glasses or bowls, garnished as desired.
- light sour cream, snipped chives or fresh dill, cubed hard-cooked eggs, cubed cucumbers, cubed tomatoes, lemon wedges
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.