Cool Mama Mocktail
- 1/4 cup dried juniper berries
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 slices peeled cucumber
- 1 slice lime
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 - 3 tablespoons juniper syrup
- Ice cubes
- Tonic water
1. To make the juniper syrup, smash juniper berries using a mortar and pestle (or place them in a plastic bag and crush them with the bottom of a heavy saucepan). Place berries, water and sugar in a small saucepan over high heat and boil, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Using a coffee filter, strain liquid into a glass container and discard berries. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. To make the drink, place cucumber in an on-the-rocks glass and smash slightly using the back of a spoon. Add lime slice, lime juice, juniper syrup and ice. Top off with tonic water and stir.