Cranberry-Orange Buttermilk Scones
Waking up starving lately? Make these quick baked goods, which not only satisfy a sweet craving, but also deliver a hit of citrus (a boon for alleviating morning sickness) and cranberries (which guard against UTIs, something you're prone to during pregnancy). Yum!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir in cranberries.
3. In a bowl, whisk 2/3 cup buttermilk, oil, zest and egg. Pour into flour mixture, stirring until combined.
4. Turn out onto floured surface; knead 5 or 6 times. Flatten to 9-inch round. With 2-inch wide glass, cut out 6 scones. Combine scraps and repeat. Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with remaining buttermilk and sugar.
5. Bake 10 minutes until golden brown. Let cool on wire rack just until warm.