Creamy Carrot and Rutabaga Soup
- 1 tablespoon each olive oil and unsalted butter
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 leafy celery stalk, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons creme fraiche or plain yogurt
- Black pepper to taste
1. In a heavy pot, warm the oil and butter. Add the onion and cook over medium heat until translucent, 5 minutes. Add the rutabaga, carrots, celery and salt and stir to combine.
2. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have begun to soften, 10 minutes.
3. Add 3 cups of water and bring the soup to a boil. Cover and simmer gently until the vegetables are totally soft, about 45 minutes.
4. Puree the soup until smooth and blend in the creme fraiche or yogurt. Season to taste and serve warm.
- Find more healthy and kid-friendly recipes on the Mom Appetit blog.