Crispy Thai Slaw with Curry Dressing
Rather than spooning out a mayo-heavy and calorie-laden packaged slaw, try this easy, spicy-sour Asian rendition. A cornucopia of crunchy vegetables provides fiber to squash unhealthy cravings and keep things moving.
- 4 cups shredded napa or green cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions (white and green parts), trimmed and sliced
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon grated or finely minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons Asian chili sauce (such as Sriracha)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- Lime wedges
1. In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, carrots, red bell pepper and scallion. In a small bowl, whisk together coconut milk, ginger, fish sauce, rice vinegar, curry powder, chili sauce and sesame oil. Toss dressing with vegetables.
2. Divide slaw among serving plates and garnish with cilantro and peanuts. Serve with lime wedges.
- Recipe by Matthew Kadey, M.S., R.D.
- If you have time, combine the ingredients and dressing the day before to give flavors time to marry.