Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 5 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (1 small squash, just under 2 pounds)
- 2 cups peeled potato (any variety), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 32 ounce container low-sodium chicken broth (or substitute vegetable broth to make this soup vegan)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon Muchi curry powder (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 13 1/2 ounce can light coconut milk
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro (optional garnish)
1. Place oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onions and saute until softened, about 2 minutes. Add celery and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger and curry powder and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add squash, potato and broth and cover. Lower heat to medium, cover and cook until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Puree soup in small batches in a blender on the lowest setting. Return soup to pot and whisk in coconut milk. If soup is too thick, thin by adding 1/2 to 1 cup water. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Reheat on medium until soup is hot. To serve, garnish with chopped cilantro.