Dark Chocolate Souffles
- 3/4 cup 2-percent milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup flour, sifted
- 1 1/3 cups dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup finely ground hazelnuts
- 8 egg whites
- 1/2 cup 2-percent milk
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 2/3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly butter 8 3-by-1 1/2-inch round ramekins.
2. In a saucepan, bring milk to a boil. In a bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/3 cup sugar; add flour. Whisk half of boiled milk into egg yolk mixture.
3. Pour back into pan and cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in chips and fold in hazelnuts.
4. In a large bowl using an electric mixer, whip egg whites and remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold into the chocolate base. Spoon into ramekins until 3/4 full and bake until souffles rise, 13 to 15 minutes.
5. For sauce, mix milk and sugar in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Add butter and chocolate, remove from heat and whisk until melted. Serve souffles hot with sauce poured on top.