Easy Skillet Cornbread
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup stoneground cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Place the butter in a 10-inch oven-proof skillet; place the skillet in the oven until the butter melts.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg and honey. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry, along with the corn and melted butter. Season the batter with black pepper if desired.
3. Scrape the batter back into the heated skillet. Bake until the top of the cornbread is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center emerges with a few crumbs sticking to it, about 22 minutes. Serve warm, with butter and honey if desired.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.