Easy Tomato Soup
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 14 ounce can whole plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup white rice
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Black pepper
- Sugar (optional)
- Serve with: toasted cheese triangles
1. In a food processor, pulse the onion, bell pepper and garlic just until finely chopped (you'll need the food processor again later). In a large, heavy pot over medium-low heat, melt the butter in the oil. Add the chopped onion mixture and the salt. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.
2. Puree the can of tomatoes, with their juice, in the food processor (you'll use the food processor once more). Add the tomato paste to the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the pureed tomatoes and a quart of water. Bring the soup to a simmer; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the rice and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is completely tender, about 25 minutes. Puree the soup in the food processor until completely smooth.
4. Season to taste with vinegar, pepper, salt and sugar if desired. Serve hot, with cheese triangles if desired.
- Find more healthy and kid-friendly recipes on the Mom Appetit blog.