Eggplant with Cumin Rice
Adapted from the New York Times International Cookbook by Craig Claiborne.
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (mom often adds a zucchini too)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup chopped fresh or canned tomato
- 1 cup water
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Heat the butter in a large casserole, add the eggplant and stir for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook for a few more minutes. Add the bell pepper, onion and cumin and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft but not mushy. This whole step will take about 10 minutes.
2. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and bake for about 25 minutes, until the rice is cooked through. Fluff and serve.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.