First Trimester: Ginger-Lime Sparkler
To combat queasiness, try popsicles, dry toast, ginger ale and citrus-flavored water.
- 1 knob unpeeled raw ginger (about 3-4 inches), scrubbed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons organic honey
- 8 ounces sparkling mineral water
1. To make syrup, place ginger and lime juice in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Cook uncovered until juice is reduced by one-quarter, about 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, cover pan and allow ginger to steep for 20 minutes. Strain liquid and discard ginger. Stir in honey; place syrup in a glass jar and refrigerate until ready to use. (Yields about 3/4 cup.)
3. Put ice in a 12-ounce glass. Add mineral water and 2 tablespoons syrup. Stir and drink immediately.