Ginger Applesauce Bread
This applesauce recipe is one of the easiest, yummiest quick breads you'll ever make. The ginger may even help quell your prenatal queasies.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup each white and brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsulphered molasses
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- Cream cheese or Greek yogurt, for serving (optional)
1. Oil a loaf pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, sugars and egg.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda and powder, spices and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the molasses, applesauce, buttermilk and cider.
3. Alternately whisk the dry and wet ingredients into the sugar mixture in three additions, starting with the wet ingredients.
4. Scrape the batter into the pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool for 30 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Serve slices spread with cream cheese or yogurt if desired.