- 1 1/2 cups whole spelt or wheat berries
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths and steamed
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 kirby cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 3 scallions, minced
- Small handful parsley leaves, minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped ricotta salata (or feta)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the spelt and simmer, partially covered, until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain and let cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss together the green beans, tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, scallions and parsley. Add the drained spelt, sprinkle with the vinegar, and toss with salt and pepper to taste. Toss with the olive oil and cheese and serve warm or cold.