Grilled Fruit Salad with Banana Ice Cream
Grilling sun-kissed fruits supercharges their natural sweetness, making them the stars of this dessert. They also supply vitamin C, which aids in Baby's brain development. First trimester bonus: The potassium in bananas helps quell morning sickness.
- 2 mangoes, peeled, pitted and cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 3 nectarines, cut in half, pits removed
- 4 plums, cut in half, pits removed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup dried coconut flakes
- 4 medium frozen bananas, chopped
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat grill to medium. Lightly brush cut sides of fresh fruit pieces with oil before placing them on grill grate, cut sides down. Cook until grill marks appear and fruit softens. Remove fruit from grill; let cool and then chop.
2. In a large bowl, toss fruit with lime juice. Stir in chocolate chunks, pistachios and coconut flakes.
3. To make the banana ice cream, place frozen bananas, coconut milk and vanilla extract in a food processor or high-powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Serve immediately or place banana ice cream in the freezer in an airtight container until ready to use. Before serving, let the mixture sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften.
4. Place fruit salad in bowls, top with banana ice cream and serve immediately.
- Recipe by Matthew Kadey, M.S., R.D.