Grilled Zucchini Salad with Walnuts, Pomegranates & Mint-Tahini Dressing
I love tahini as a base for my dressings. The pressed sesame lends a really creamy, earthy essence, and you don't need additional oil because it's high in good fat. My husband will make the dressing while I grill the zucchini - it's great teamwork.
- 1/2 cup walnuts, halved
- 2 large zucchinis, halved crosswise, then sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
1. Place walnuts in a small, nonstick pan and toast over medium heat until fragrant; shake the pan frequently and watch carefully to prevent burning. Place in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Light a grill or heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. In a large mixing bowl, toss zucchini with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the zucchini in batches until tender and slightly charred, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove grilled pieces to a large serving platter and keep warm.
3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk lemon juice, garlic, 2 tablespoons of mint and a big pinch of salt. Add tahini and chili flakes; whisk well until combined. Dressing should be easily pourable; if too thick, add a teaspoon or so of water in a slow stream.
4. Sprinkle zucchini with toasted walnuts and pomegranate seeds, then drizzle with dressing. Garnish with remaining chopped mint.