Healthy Whole Grain Scramble with Greens
This recipe delivers essential nutrients (calcium, plus vitamins A, C and K) to nourish you and your growing baby.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green onion, white and light green parts, finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaping cup leafy greens (baby kale, spinach, Swiss chard or all of the above)
- 1/2 cup cooked whole grains (wheatberries, farro, barley or millet)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
- Crusty bread, toasted English muffins or warm corn tortillas for serving
1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and kosher salt; set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the green onion and garlic and saute until soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Add greens, grains and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute until greens are wilted and grains are warmed through, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Decrease heat to low and pour in egg mixture, gently stirring to combine it with the greens and grains. Continue stirring until eggs are softly scrambled, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in chives and season with pepper.
3. Serve hot with a sprinkling of sea salt on top and crusty bread, toasted English muffins or warm corn tortillas on the side.
- Adapted from Whole-Grain Mornings by Megan Gordon. Ten Speed Press ($14, amazon.com). Copyright © 2013. Photos by Clare Barboza.