- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 1 14 ounce can whole plum tomatoes and their juice, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 parmesan cheese rind (optional)
- 1 kohlrabi (or one stalk broccoli), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 handfuls green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 cup small dry pasta
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans with their liquid
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pesto, for serving
1. In a large, heavy pot, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the wine, if using, and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bay leaf, bring to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Pour in the stock and water, add the parmesan cheese rind if using, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Add the kohlrabi, potatoes, green beans and garlic and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes. Add the pasta and simmer until just cooked, about 8 minutes. Add the beans and their liquid and simmer until heated through, 2 minutes. Remove and discard the parmesan rind and bay leaf.
4. Serve the soup in wide bowls, adding black pepper and pesto to taste. Serve toddlers a less brothy version, leaving out the black pepper (and the pesto if they prefer plainer food).