Honey Bear Bran Biscuits
Adapted from this Food & Wine recipe for Whole Wheat Biscuits, these wholegrain, fiber-added biscuits are barely sweet - perfect for serving warm with honey, topping a pot-pie or for making Southern-style ham and cheese sandwiches (honey or honey mustard is great with the ham too).
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour (or regular whole wheat flour)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oat bran (such as Quaker Oat Bran hot cereal), plus more for rolling
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon honey
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, whisk together the flours, bran, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
2. Add the butter and use your fingers to pinch and rub the butter into the dry ingredients so that the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the buttermilk and honey and mix gently until all the wet ingredients are incorporated.
3. Dust a work surface liberally with oat bran and turn the biscuit dough out onto the surface. Roll or pat the dough into a 6-by-8-inch rectangle (about 1/2 inch thick). Cut it into 9 squares. Use an offset spatula to transfer the biscuits to the parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with buttermilk.
4. Bake until risen and golden-brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.