Ice Cream Cake for Special Diets
- Two 9-by-13-inch layers sponge cake (I baked this gluten-free recipe in two 9-by-13-inch pans, lining the bottoms with parchment paper and grinding dried unsweetened coconut flakes in a clean coffee grinder for the coconut flour), baked and cooled
- Two quarts ice cream (or non-dairy soy or coconut ice cream, any flavor you like), softened for an hour in the refrigerator
- One package chocolate cookies (I used Pamela's gluten-free chocolate/chocolate chip cookies), crushed by hand or pulsed in a blender
1. Place a layer of sponge in a 9-by-13-inch rectangular pan. Spread one quart of the softened ice cream over the cake all the way to the edges of the pan. Run a metal spatula under hot tap water and wipe it dry, then smooth the ice cream layer. Top with the second layer of sponge cake and the remaining ice cream, again smoothing with a heated metal spatula. Cover the pan with foil and freeze for at least 2 hours. Top the cake with the cookie crumbles just before serving.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.