A whole wheat tortilla with cheese and other goodies inside. You can leave out the kale for pickier eaters, or serve it on the side.
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus additional for the quesadillas
- 1 onion, quartered and sliced
- 8 medium whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- Tomato salsa and refried beans (optional), for serving
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the kale. Boil, uncovered, until just tender but still emerald green, about 4 minutes. Drain and let cool. Squeeze out the excess liquid, then chop the kale.
2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until tender and beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the chopped kale and saute for 2 more minutes.
3. Heat a griddle or heavy pan over medium heat. Brush with olive oil and add a tortilla. Top with 1/2 cup each of cheese and the kale mixture, followed by another tortilla. Cook the quesadilla until the cheese is molten and the tortillas are crisp and browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a board and let cool slightly before slicing into wedges.
4. Repeat the process to make a total of four quesadillas. Serve with salsa and beans if desired.
- Find out more about this recipe (including step-by-step photos!) on Mom Appetit's blog.