Lentil Celery Root Soup
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium (about 1 1/2 pounds) celery root, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Parmesan cheese, grated
1. In a large saucepan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add leek and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper and cook 1 minute more. Add celery root, carrot, lentils, apple, broth and 1 cup water to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes, or until carrot and celery root are tender. Stir in honey and lemon juice.
2. Remove from heat. In two batches, puree soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to pan and stir in more water (up to 2 cups) if needed to reach desired consistency. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Serve garnished with additional black pepper and grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.