Macaroni with Goat Cheese, Spinach and Optional Sausage
- 2 - 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 - 2 sausages, crumbled or sliced (optional)
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 bunch spinach, stems discarded, washed well and chopped
- 3/4 pound whole wheat macaroni or other pasta
- 1/2 cup crumbled plain goat cheese
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. In a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil (using the amount desired) over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, if using, and cook, stirring a few times, for 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 more minutes. Stir in the spinach until wilted.
2. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the salted water until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
3. Add the pasta to the skillet along with 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Stir over medium heat until the liquid is almost absorbed. Add the goat cheese, and stir just until creamy, about 1 minute, pouring in a little more pasta cooking water if desired. Serve right away.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.