Maria's Balsamic Chicken Salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 4-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups red leaf lettuce
- 2/3 cup mandarin oranges
- 2/3 cup sliced beets
- 12 whole-grain croutons
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 4 tablespoons light Italian vinaigrette dressing
1. Mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic and place in a bowl or zippered plastic bag. Add chicken breasts and seal or cover. Marinate in refrigerator for at least two hours, as long as 24.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add chicken breasts and sear 2 minutes on each side.
3. Place chicken in ovenproof dish or pan and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Remove from oven and let cool.
4. Divide lettuce, mandarin oranges, beets, croutons and almonds into two bowls and toss each with 2 tablespoons dressing. Slice chicken breasts and place over salads.