Mellow Parsley-Basil Pesto
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed flat with the side of a knife and peeled
- 1 cup each parsley and basil leaves
- 4 - 6 tablespoons mild olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the pine nuts and cook, stirring a few times, until they begin to color slightly, 5 minutes. Add the smashed garlic cloves and continue to cook and stir until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
2. In a food processor, pulse the herbs until finely chopped. Scrape in the buttery pine nuts and garlic and pulse a few times. With the machine running, drizzle in oil until the pesto reaches the desired consistency.
3. Pulse in the cheese, season with black pepper; serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to a week or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.