- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or lard if you have it)
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock (or equivalent water and chicken bouillon)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped green beans (or frozen peas added with corn)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
1. In a large, heavy pot, warm the oil. Add the rice and fry until the grains begin to color. Add the onion, carrot and garlic and continue frying until the onion begins to soften, 4 minutes.
2. Stir in the stock, tomato sauce, green beans and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer gently until the rice is just tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Stir in the corn and continue to cook, covered, until the corn is warm and the rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with hot sauce if desired.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.