The cinnamon in these airy confections may boost brain power.
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- Confectioner's sugar or cocoa powder for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
2. In a small bowl, combine cocoa, espresso powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until frothy using an electric mixer set to medium speed. Add cream of tartar, salt and vanilla; increase speed to high and continue beating until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and mixture becomes glossy. Gently fold in cocoa mixture until combined.
4. Using a rubber spatula, transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch round tip, leaving enough room to twist the bag closed without any spillage. (If you don't have a pastry bag, transfer the mixture to a large zip-top bag and cut off one of the corners, leaving a 1/4-inch opening.) Pipe 1 1/2-inch mounds onto prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake for about 45 minutes or until set. Turn off oven and leave cookies in for at least 45 minutes more. Remove from oven; transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Dust slightly with confectioner's sugar or cocoa powder, if desired.