Monte Cristo Light
Lean meats and whole-wheat bread lighten up this dish.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup reduced-fat (2%) milk
- 4 ounces prepackaged lean turkey, sliced
- 4 ounces prepackaged lean ham, sliced
- 4 ounces reduced-fat Swiss cheese, sliced
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
1. Whisk together eggs and milk; set aside. For each sandwich, place 1 ounce each of turkey, ham and Swiss cheese between two slices of whole-wheat bread. Slip sandwiches into egg mixture, turning frequently to soak both sides. Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Put sandwiches in skillet and cook each side until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side.
2. To make dipping sauce, combine red currant jelly, Dijon mustard and orange juice in a small skillet over low heat; whisk mixture until blended. Transfer sauce to four small dipping bowls; serve with warm sandwiches.