Muffins for Monsters
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar, preferably raw cane sugar
- 1 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup high-quality neutral vegetable oil (such as grapeseed) or melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium carrot, finely shredded or 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup each chopped raisins and walnuts (optional)
- Frosting and toppings as desired
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar. Whisk in the buttermilk, oil and vanilla. With a rubber spatula, stir the wet ingredients into the dry, along with the carrot, raisins and nuts if using. Mix until just barely combined.
3. Use an ice cream scoop to portion the batter into the muffin tins. Bake until they are firm and golden, 16-18 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool completely.
4. Frost and top as desired. For monsters, color cream cheese frosting with blue and green food coloring and use sliced almonds, pistachios, shaved coconut, dried cranberries, currants, chocolate chips or candy as desired to create monster faces!
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.