Pantry Black Beans and Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 sundried tomatoes in olive oil, drained and minced (or 2 teaspoons tomato paste)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken stock or water (or water with 1/2 teaspoon chicken or vegetable soup base, such as Better than Bouillon)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, to taste
- Steamed white rice and hot sauce, for serving
1. In a medium, heavy saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and pepper and saute until soft, 6 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes. Add the sundried tomatoes, oregano and cumin and saute until fragrant, 1 more minute.
2. Add the beans and stock or water and bring to a simmer. Simmer, mashing the beans with the back of a wooden spoon as they cook, until the liquid has thickened, 10 minutes. Serve hot, over steamed rice, passing hot sauce at the table.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.