Pasta and Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 - 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (or a pinch crumbled dry rosemary)
- 2 tablespoons good-quality tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups small dry pasta shapes
- 1 piece parmesan rind (optional)
- 1 15 ounce can Roman or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese, for serving
1. In a heavy soup pot, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until incorporated, 1 minute. Pour in 6 cups of water and bring to a boil.
2. Stir in the pasta and parmesan rind and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the beans and simmer for a few more minutes, until the pasta is cooked. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot or warm, passing grated parmesan at the table.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.