Pasta with Kale, Turkey Sausage and Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 turkey sausage, casing removed
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems discarded, leaves chopped
- 12 ounces small dried pasta, such as gemelli or gnochetti
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large, heavy skillet, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sausage and cook, crumbling the sausage, until browned, 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic to the skillet and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, 5 minutes.
2. Blanch the kale in the boiling water until tender, 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the kale to the skillet, keeping the water at a boil. Add the pasta to the water and cook until al dente.
3. Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet. Toss over medium-low heat until warmed and well combined. Off the heat, fold in the balsamic and season with black pepper. Stir in the parmesan and serve.