Penne With Prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large yellow peppers, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 pound whole-wheat penne pasta
- 1 10 ounce bag frozen baby peas
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup Romano cheese, grated
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, place a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add oil and garlic. Heat until garlic turns golden, about 1 minute. Add yellow peppers, broth, salt and red pepper flakes. Cover skillet and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. In large pot, cook pasta according to package directions until al dente (about 12 minutes). When pasta is cooked, stir in frozen peas. Drain penne and peas (peas will have cooked in the pasta water), then add penne, peas, prosciutto and basil to sauce. Gently toss to mix; top with grated cheese before serving.