Blood Orange Basil Mocktail
Celebrate summer with this citrus beverage.
- 1/4 blood orange section
- 1/2 pint loosely packed Thai basil leaves (available at Asian grocery stores, or substitute sweet basil)
- 2 ounces distilled water
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 3/4 ounce pasteurized liquid egg whites*
- 1 Thai basil leaf, reserved from half pint
1. In a pint mixing glass, add blood orange section and Thai basil leaves (reserve 1 leaf for garnish) and press with several times with a cocktail muddler.
2. Add distilled water, lime juice, simple syrup and pasteurized egg whites.*
3. Shake for 6 seconds to froth.
4. Fill glass with ice and shake for an additional 6 seconds.
5. Strain mixture into a chilled cocktail glass, garnish with a Thai basil leaf and serve.
- *Consuming unpasteurized egg whites during pregnancy is not advised due to the risk of salmonella.