Preggo-Friendly Lemon Cookies
Satisfy a yen for citrus, as well as your nesting urges, by making a batch of zingy vanilla-lemon cookies. They provide a hit of vitamin C, which is essential for tissue growth and helps your body (and therefore your growing baby!) absorb iron. Their tart flavor is easy on a queasy tummy - and they taste great.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (from about half of a small lemon)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice (from about 1 1/2 lemons)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil.
2. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and zest. With an electric hand mixer, mix in butter and vanilla until dough is smooth.
3. Roll into teaspoon-sized balls and place 1 1/2 inches apart on foil. Bake 15 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack for 2 minutes, then move to rack to cool completely.
4. Toss in confectioner's sugar, or make glaze: Mix sugar and lemon juice, then brush or drizzle on tops of cookies.