Quick Curry Pickles
- 3 small Kirby cucumbers, peeled in stripes and thinly sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 small dried red chile
- 1/2 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon mild curry powder
1. In a plastic or stainless steel colander, toss the cucumber and onion slices with 1 tablespoon of salt. Top with ice cubes, place the colander over a bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Remove the ice and rinse the cucumbers and onions thoroughly, then press with paper towels to dry. Pack the cucumbers and onions into a pint-size glass jar. In a small saucepan over medium heat, toss the peppercorns and coriander seeds until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
3. Carefully pour in the vinegar, sugar and chile and stir until the mixture is steaming and the sugar is dissolved. Stir in 1 teaspoon of salt and the mustard and curry powder.
4. Pour the hot pickling liquid over the cucumbers and let cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours (overnight is better, but if you have a craving) or for up to 3 weeks.