Red Lentil Soup with Lime and Spinach
- 2 cups split red lentils (or yellow split peas), picked over and rinsed several times
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- Juice of 3 limes, or to taste
- 1 bunch spinach, chopped
- 4 - 6 tablespoons plain yogurt, strained
1. Place lentils in a soup pot with 2 1/2 quarts water, turmeric, 1 tablespoon butter and salt. Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer, covered, until lentils are soft, about 20 minutes. Puree in a blender or food processor.
2. Cook onion in remaining 1 tablespoon butter with cumin and mustard over low heat until soft, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add cilantro and cook for 1 minute. Add onion mixture to soup and season with lime juice.
3. Just before serving, add spinach to soup and cook just until it wilts. Top with a swirl of yogurt.