Red Pepper Pita Pizzas
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Black pepper
- 2 whole-wheat pocket-less pitas
- 2 ounces (1/4 ball) fresh mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or a pinch each dried oregano and basil)
- Handful fresh parsley leaves (optional)
1. In a wide skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion begins to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are tender and beginning to brown, about 20 minutes. Add the balsamic, season with black pepper and stir well.
2. Divide the peppers between the pitas. Top with the cheese, sprinkle with the dried herbs and broil until the cheese is melted. Scatter with the parsley and serve.