Salmon Burgers with Avocado Sauce
Burgers are a summertime mainstay, and there's nothing fishy about swapping out the traditional ground beef patties for ones made with omega-3- packed salmon. Studies show that this nutritional hero may decrease the risk of prenatal and postpartum depression. Plus, slathering on the punchy avocado sauce adds a dose of folate, a B vitamin that protects against birth defects.
- 3 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 pound skinless center-cut salmon, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 whole-grain buns
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Preheat grill to medium. In a food processor, blend dill, shallots, mustard, half of the salmon, salt and black pepper into a pasty puree. Add remaining salmon and breadcrumbs and pulse just until combined. Form into 4 equal-sized patties and brush with oil. Grill 4 minutes per side, or until just cooked through.
2. To make the sauce, mash together avocado, sour cream, horseradish and lemon juice in a bowl.
3. Toast buns, cut side down, on grill grate, about 30 seconds. Place salmon burgers on bun bottoms and add sauce, tomato, arugula and bun tops.
- Recipe by Matthew Kadey, M.S., R.D.