Salmon Salad with Grapefruit and Avocado
- 4 ounces wild salmon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for brushing
- Salt and black pepper
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 chopped scallions, white and green parts kept separate
- 1 heart of Romaine lettuce, washed and torn
- 1/2 small pink grapefruit, peeled and separated into sections
- 1/4 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1/4 large cucumber, peeled and sliced
- Whole grain bread, for serving (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lightly brush the salmon with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place a small ovenproof skillet over high heat for 1 minute, then add the salmon, skin-side down. Cook until the salmon skin begins to sizzle and crisp, about 1 minute. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast until cooked through, 4 to 5 more minutes. Place the fish on a plate.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the tablespoon of olive oil with the lemon juice, mustard, and scallion whites. Add the lettuce and toss well.
3. Mound the lettuce on a plate. Top with the salmon and surround with grapefruit, avocado and cucumber. Sprinkle with scallion greens and serve immediately, with bread if desired.