Mexican Green Tomato Salsa from The Essential Cuisines of Mexico, by Diana Kennedy Central and Northern Mexico
- 2 or more serrano chiles, finely chopped
- 1 heaped tablespoon finely chopped white onion
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup firmly packed, roughly chopped cilantro
- 8 ounces tomatillos, cooked*
- Salt to taste
- 1 additional teaspoon finely chopped cilantro (optional)
1. Put the chiles, onion, garlic, and cilantro into a blender or food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Gradually add the tomatillos and blend to a textured consistency. Add salt and sprinkle with the remaining cilantro.
- * To cook tomatillos, peel their husks away and dunk them in boiling water for one minute. Turn off the heat and leave covered for 10 minutes, then use right away.
- Salsa is best within 3 hours, and is also great with chips.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.