Simple Turkey Tacos
Easy filling, customizable toppings, wrapped in warm tortillas: done and done.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup of your favorite salsa (I used Green Mountain Gringo medium salsa), plus additional for serving
- Soft corn tortillas, warmed
- Shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped cilantro, for serving
1. In a nonstick skillet, warm the oil over medium-high heat. Add most of the onion, reserving about 2 tablespoons for serving. Saute the onion until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the turkey and raise the heat to high. Saute, breaking up the turkey, until it is no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Add the cumin, season with salt and saute for 1 more minute.
2. Stir the 1/4 cup of salsa into the turkey and cook gently for 3 more minutes.
3. To serve, pile turkey on warm tortillas and garnish as desired.
- To keep a small child's taco filling from falling out, sprinkle tortillas with a thin layer of shredded cheese and microwave or toast until melted. Spoon in some turkey, fold the taco over and press to adhere turkey and cheese. Serve sour cream or salsa as a dip.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.