Simplest Pink or Golden Applesauce
- Red or golden apples, quartered, cored, and peeled if golden
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Maple syrup or sugar (optional)
- Ground cinnamon, for serving (optional)
1. Place the apples in a large, heavy pot and add about 1/2 inch water. Bring to a simmer and cook gently, covered, stirring occasionally, until the apples are very soft, 15 to 25 minutes depending on the variety. Stir well to break down the sauce and season with lemon juice or syrup if needed. Pass the sauce through a food mill or chinois for a smooth texture and to remove the peels if making pink applesauce. Let cool. Refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months. Serve plain or lightly dusted with cinnamon if desired.
- Make this in quantity, unsweetened, and freeze cup-size containers for future baking and eating.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.