Spring Salad with Buttermilk Dressing and Poached Egg
I consider fresh, free-range eggs from a farmer's market safe to eat but if you're concerned about consuming under-cooked yolks, you can hard-cook the egg or leave it out and add more cheese instead.
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped chives or shallot
- Pinch salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups torn tender lettuce
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 egg, cracked into a small bowl
- 1 teaspoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 slice toasted sourdough, for serving
1. Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in your smallest saucepan. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, chives, salt and pepper. Add the lettuce and toss well. Transfer the dressed lettuce to a plate or shallow bowl.
2. Add the vinegar to the boiling water and use the handle of a wooden spoon to stir the water until you've created a whirlpool. Gently tip the egg from the bowl into the center of the whirl. Reduce the heat so the water barely simmers and cook until the white is set, 2 minutes.
3. Use a slotted spoon to carefully transfer the poached egg onto the top of the dressed lettuce. Season the egg with salt and pepper and sprinkle the parmesan over all. Serve immediately, with toast if desired.
- Find more out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.