Squash, Chicken and Kale Pizza
A winter squash spread replaces tomato sauce and packs vitamin A to help boost your immune system during pregnancy. Kale adds vitamin C, which aids in the development of your baby's brain.
- DIY Dough (http://www.fitpregnancy.com/nutrition/recipe/diy-pizza-dough)
- 1 cup frozen winter squash puree, thawed (or mash thawed cubed squash)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely minced (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 pound pizza dough, pricked and oiled
- 1 1/2 cups chopped kale
- 4 ounces crumbled pasteurized goat cheese
- 1 6-ounce chicken breast cooked in 2 teaspoons of oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1. Combine squash, sage, salt and pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Saute leeks in 2 teaspoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until lightly browned (about 10 minutes). Stir in sugar and balsamic vinegar. Remove from heat.
3. To prepare dough, preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a rimless baking sheet with 1 teaspoon oil or top with a sheet of parchment paper. Roll dough into 12-by-9-inch rectangle or 12-inch round no more than 1/4 inch thick. Transfer to prepared sheet, prick crust all over with fork and brush dough with another 2 teaspoons of oil, concentrating on the edges.
4. Spread squash mixture over pizza dough. Top with kale, cheese, leeks, chicken and mushrooms. Bake for 15 minutes.
5. While pizza cooks, toast pepitas in a dry skillet over medium heat until they begin to pop, then add to pizza.