Squash and Escarole Ragout with Beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Small pinch crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cups butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 14 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium head escarole, thinly sliced
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans
- 3/4 pound whole grain penne or 1 cup polenta, prepared according to package directions
- Grated parmesan cheese, for serving
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and saute until beginning to soften, 2 minutes. Add the garlic and crushed pepper if using and saute until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the squash and salt and saute until the squash begins to soften, 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes and their juice to the pan, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the escarole and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are completely tender, about 10 more minutes.
3. Stir in the beans and simmer until warmed through, 2 minutes. Serve the ragout over cooked penne or polenta, passing parmesan at the table.
- See more photos of this recipe in process and follow Zoe our Mom Appetit blogger as she raises a toddler in New York City.