- 5 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 pears, peeled, sliced and cored
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon and nutmeg
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock or water
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place squash on one end of the baking sheet, pears on the other. Drizzle butter and maple syrup or honey over squash and pears. Bake for 20 minutes, remove pears and set aside. Flip squash with a spatula and bake for another 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, curry, cinnamon and nutmeg; cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove squash from oven. Add stock or water to saucepan along with squash, pears, salt and pepper.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Puree soup, in batches if necessary, in a blender until smooth. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.