Stovetop Rice Pudding
- 1 quart whole or reduced fat milk
- 3/4 cup white rice, steamed
- 1/3 cup sugar plus additional to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon, fruit preserves or chopped fresh fruit, for serving (optional)
1. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk, steamed rice, sugar and cinnamon stick. When the mixture begins to simmer, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes.
2. Remove the cinnamon stick and whisk in the egg. Stir over low heat for 5 more minutes. Stir in the vanilla and salt and additional sugar to taste. Let cool then refrigerate; serve chilled, dusted with ground cinnamon, preserves, or fresh fruit if desired.
- Find more healthy and kid-friendly recipes on Mom Appetit's blog.