Sweet and Sour Tofu
The scallion and ginger are sliced large enough to pick out, should anyone at the table object.
- 1 pound firm tofu, patted dry cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons raw or light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 inch fresh ginger root, peeled and cut into coins
- 1 cup diced red or green bell peppers (optional)
- 1/2 cup diced fresh or canned pineapple
- Steamed brown rice and steamed green beans or broccoli, for serving
- Sesame seeds and/or chili pepper flakes, for garnishing
1. In a bowl, toss the tofu with the cornstarch, sesame oil and salt. Set aside. In a cup, whisk together all the sauce ingredients.
2. In a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the tofu and fry, turning, until crisp and golden on all sides, 5 minutes. Add the scallions, ginger, and bell pepper if using and continue to stir-fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add the sauce and stir until it is thick and clings to the tofu, 2 minutes. Serve over rice, sprinkling sesame seeds or a pinch of chili pepper on top if desired.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.