Tempeh or Sausage with Apple, Mustard and Onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces cubed tempeh or crumbled pork sausage
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/2 green apple, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup lager-style beer or vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon brown mustard, to taste
- Salt and black pepper
- Balsamic vinegar to taste (optional)
1. In a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the tempeh or sausage and brown well. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate.
2. Add the onion to the pan and saute until beginning to brown, 6 minutes.
3. Add the apple and saute until tender. Stir in the liquid and mustard and return the tempeh or sausage to the pan.
4. Simmer until glazed. Taste and season with salt and pepper and a few drops of vinegar if needed.
- To feed 4, double the recipe or make 2 servings of tempeh in one pan and 2 servings meat in another, as I did. I served this with garlic-braised kale and a roast of butternut and delicata squash.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.