Toddler-Approved Salad Suggestions
- One garlic clove, halved lengthwise
- Romaine lettuce hearts, torn, washed and spun-dry
- Carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- Cheese, such as cheddar or mozzarella, grated or cubed
- Avocado, cubed
- Cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- Grape tomatoes (preferably sweet, low-acid yellow ones), halved cross-wise
- Salami or other lunch meat, sliced into ribbons
- Chickpeas or other canned beans, drained and rinsed
- Hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered
- Red, yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded, cored and diced
- Minced scallion
- Cooked chicken or fish, sliced or flaked
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
1. Rub a large bowl with the cut sides of the garlic clove. Add lettuce and toppings as desired.
2. Drizzle with balsamic and olive oil to taste (a standard ratio is 1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil, though your family may prefer equal amounts of each). Toss well and serve.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.